Adapted from Natural History, March 2015.
In paragraph 1, the sentence “The matter, however, is far from settled” most likely means the same as which of the following?
- A Scientists and naturalists believe they are close to a solid understanding of the origin and function of zebra stripes.
- B Scientists and naturalists have not yet arrived at a solid understanding of the purpose of zebra stripes.
- C Scientists and naturalists are still unable to explain why different striping patterns are often found among members of the same zebra species.
- D The unsettled, migratory nature of zebra herds has impeded practical scientific research.
- E Scientists and naturalists believe that only three hypotheses could reasonably explain the purpose of zebra stripes