Adapted from The New Yorker, July 29, 2013.
In paragraph 2, the article most likely includes the phrase “last year…e-book sales rose just fortyfour per cent” in order to
- A weaken the argument that e-books will substitute printed books in the near future.
- B support the idea that continued technological advances will make e-books more and more popular with the general reading public.
- C compare the sales problems of the book industry today with those of the music industry some years ago.
- D call into question the sales statistics presented by industry trade groups.
- E help explain why e-book sales are currently so vigorous.